Join a Workshop
- Tenure & Promotion, April 30-May 1, 2018, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Foresight & Collaboration, June 7-8, 2018, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Research Synthesis, May 11-12, 2017, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Research university leadership and faculty are seeking to create dynamic and responsive infrastructure and programs for research and teaching that a) span different modes of scholarship, knowledge production, and practice across domains in the sciences, the arts, engineering, and the humanities, while b) navigating structural, cultural, and practical challenges posed by institutions, administration, and external drivers of change.
a2ru is organizing leadership workshops designed to invent new patterns of administrative practice, pedagogy, collaboration, and knowledge production. The workshops convene faculty and leadership from different disciplines and roles in research universities around cross-cutting themes for critical thinking and making with workshops taking place at universities around the country. The focus of the work is to define practical pathways for integration and synthesis between the arts, sciences, engineering, and humanities. It will include outcomes for pedagogy and program development in curricular and co-curricular contexts, modes of collaboration, organizational strategy, and different cultures of evidence-based case-making. Participants are expected to engage in self-identified problem-driven challenges, using the workshops as platforms for synthesis and co-creation, and resulting in tangible outcomes and local coordination on their own campuses and for national knowledge-networking. The goals of the workshops are to create awareness, understanding, and support for pathways to integration and synthesis across different modes of scholarship, knowledge production, and practice. The programmatic approach crosslinks areas of administrative and practical concern with key integrative and synthesis competencies. For each workshop, a basic set of content modules will help scaffold critical thinking and making around the challenges of that workshop’s topic and unique concerns. These workshops aim to provide the face-to-face interaction, time-on-task, and scaffolding for the identification and activation of new practices. By offering a forward-thinking approach to integration and synthesis across domains and disciplines, the regional workshops seek not only to support the work needed to conceive of and codify new concepts and latent knowledge, but they also buttress the academic mission and dynamism of research universities through greater competency in the core elements of teaching, research, and public service.
Aligning Shared Needs: Areas of Administrative and Practical Concern
a2ru has identified areas of concern that would benefit directly from programs that support the acquisition, integration, and diffusion of domain knowledge in research and teaching contexts.
- Designing and implementing curricular and co-curricular pedagogy, programs, and
- Cultivating leadership and communications skills across domains and disciplines
- Understanding and building empathy for different cultures of evidence and modes of
- Practicing strategic foresight for dynamic, positive organizations
- Identifying and supporting new and different modes of collaborative practice
- Prioritization and cultivation of criteria and values for promotion and tenure
- Interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary proposal design and project development
- Designing, programming, and maintaining spaces for learning and research across